Re: Spurious messages at the console

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 05:30:44PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I've installed Debian (latest) without X on a small form factor PC, and
> typically SSH into it, though I also have a keyboard and monitor
> temporarily connected to it.
>
> I'm getting spurious error messages in groups on the monitor connected to
> it. They look like:
>
> [76056.389126] pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: PCIe Buss Error: severity=Corrected,
> type=Physical Layer, (Reciever ID)
>
> That's just one line. Others are related but different. These happen every
> few minutes, and only on the monitor, not where I'm SSHed in.

I don't know exactly what this is doing (to my naïve eye it looks like
some part of the PCI bus is doing things the kernel doesn't expect but
thinks it can fix) but...

> It would be neat to know what's going wrong, and if you can come up with a
> reason, I'd be interested. But I'm not really fixated on that. Instead,
> what I'm interested in is how to make them stop.

...for that try "dmesg -D" (see man dmesg). You can also try to mess
with the value of /proc/sys/kernel/printk, documented, e.g. here [1],
to set it permanently.

Cheers

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/core-api/printk-basics.html
    or, of course, locally. If you are in Debian, part of the linux-doc
    package, in /usr/share/doc/linux-doc/html/core-api/printk-basics.html