Re: QEMU/KVM virt-manager Problem

On Thu 02/05/2024 at 20:14, Gareth Evans <donotspam@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> What video protocol are you using?
>>>
>>> spice-vdagent is mentioned here a few comments down
>>>
>>> https://forum.manjaro.org/t/virt-manager-scale-display-not-working/138275/3
>> I am using the procedure in
>> https://getlabsdone.com/install-windows-10-on-ubuntu-kvm/
>>
>> I am most interested in installing Windows 10, as there computation
>> chemistry windows apps that I want to use on Bookworm. However, the same
>> problem is resent for Linux clients that I've installed.
>
> In
>
> virt-manager > Edit > Preferences > [console tab]
>
> I see options for
>
> Graphical console scaling [ Never / Fullscreen only / Always]
> Resize guest with window [System default / Off / On]
>
> This looks like it might just set defaults for options accessible from
> the VM view menu, but perhaps worth experimenting with?
>
> The only Linux VM I have in virt-manager used the spice display manager
> by default.
>
> If you are using spice too, this
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41990600/virt-manager-guest-resize-not-working
>
> suggests spice-guest-tools is required for Windows clients, with link
> to download page
>
> Does any of that help?
>
> Best wishes
> Gareth

Just noticed the link you provided includes a ref to spice-guest-tools.

With an Alpine client (and no "tools") I get less than optimal scaling from virt-manager - some black space at the horizontal edges, but there is a scaling of sorts going on, just not entirely using the available window space.

Are you using the stock version of virt-manager?

$ apt policy virt-manager
virt-manager:
  Installed: 1:4.1.0-2