Re: QEMU/KVM virt-manager Problem

On Thu 02/05/2024 at 19:57, Stephen P. Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Is Bookworm the VM client too?  With GUI?  Does this happen for all
>>> clients, just one, or one type?
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head, I think the scale always option may disappear
>>> if the guest display doesn't support it - I seem to recall VirtualBox
>>> Guest Additions being required for this functionality for some guests
>>> in VirtualBox (which I acknowledge you are not using, I'm just
>>> saying...) so I don't think it's "straightforward" functionality
>>
>> What video protocol are you using?
>>
>> spice-vdagent is mentioned here a few comments down
>>
>> https://forum.manjaro.org/t/virt-manager-scale-display-not-working/138275/3
> I am using the procedure in
> https://getlabsdone.com/install-windows-10-on-ubuntu-kvm/
>
> I am most interested in installing Windows 10, as there computation
> chemistry windows apps that I want to use on Bookworm. However, the same
> problem is resent for Linux clients that I've installed.

In

virt-manager > Edit > Preferences > [console tab]

I see options for

Graphical console scaling [ Never / Fullscreen only / Always]
Resize guest with window [System default / Off / On]

This looks like it might just set defaults for options accessible from the VM view menu, but perhaps worth experimenting with?

The only Linux VM I have in virt-manager used the spice display manager by default.

If you are using spice too, this

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41990600/virt-manager-guest-resize-not-working

suggests spice-guest-tools is required for Windows clients, with link to download page

Does any of that help?

Best wishes
Gareth