Re: grub requirements for fonts

On 01/05/2024 10:45, Richard wrote:
I'd like to increase the font size in Grub (v2.12, at least I think that's the better alternative to just lowering the resolution) and opted to just use a custom font as there seems to be an OTF version of "GNU Unifont", though it seems to be jagged by design, but I'm running into issues. I thought about just using Noto Mono Regular for it, as Noto is supposed to always work and a monospaced font is recommended for easier setting of letters, as Grub uses bitmap fonts. Now my issue is that on one hand, the conversion to a bitmap font seems to be quite bad, the letters look really jagged. On the other hand, it seems that despite Noto supposed to being about no tofu, I actually get a lot of tofu. Both the up and down arrows in the description text at the bottom of grubs boot selector and the border around everything is just made up of tofu. And I tried converting the font with both grub-mkfont and Grub Customizer, same result.

What command line are you using? I've used the following in the past "grub-mkfont -o dejavu_12.pf -a -s 12 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf"

You also mention that you're trying Unifont and Noto - are you trying to display characters beyond the range of ASCII? I've not tried displaying much more than English text. You might need to use the "-r" option if you are.

So what exactly are the requirements for fonts to be used in Grub so that they are converted to PFF2 fonts in a higher quality and don't show tofu?

Best
Richard