Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/10/23 14:22, Brian wrote:
On Wed 10 May 2023 at 13:18:07 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/10/23 11:29, Brian wrote:
On Wed 10 May 2023 at 10:04:47 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/10/23 08:17, Brian wrote:

[...]

Is /etc/cups/client,conf really, really needed?

That is the first thing cups docs tell you to do, see "printer sharing"

A link would be ever so useful.
Also on the bpi's, running armbian, libnss-ldap is installed, which
conflicts with installing libnss-*, but did install libnss-my*, and now the
printers have disappeared again.  That does not hold water. What the heck is
going on now?

I haven't any idea and do not claim the know anything about armbian and how
it should deal with NSS\

Since that comes from a debian arm64 repo. my first assumption is that its
identical.

After appreciating that bpi51 has libnss-mdns installed, you might discard any
assumption that nsswitch.conf on bpi54 has the same contents.

I don't believe any of these 4 bpi's have libnss-mdns installed, locate after a sudo updatedb, cannot find it on either of the 2 that are live on this net ATM.

Now. I modified /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to change loglevel to debug2, and add Listen 192.168.xx.yy:631, then restarted cups, getting this notice in /var/log/cups/error_log:

E [10/May/2023:14:32:16 -0500] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Cannot assign requested address.

E [10/May/2023:14:32:16 -0500] Unable to open listen socket for address 192.168.xx.yy:631 - Cannot assign requested address.

There's no ipv6 here, none within 100 miles so the first is expected but what is the second one telling us? Permissions, bad path, wrong time of the month? IDK...

This above is on bpi51.

Take care & stay well Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)