Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/10/23 11:29, Brian wrote:
On Wed 10 May 2023 at 10:04:47 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/10/23 08:17, Brian wrote:

[...]

Your nsswitch.conf line implies libnss-mymacines and libnss-mymhostname are used.
They have man pages to help you decide what parts they play on bpi54.

They were not installed, and neither are 95% of the manpages. man-db is
installed, pinfo is installed, neither has any knowledge of the missing man
pages.

   dpkg -L libnss-mymacines
   man  nss-myhostname

What do you have on bpi51?

bpi51 is busy, so bpi54 is being used, same iso installed both.

The same iso does not mean nsswitch.conf is the same on both. In fact, I think
they are not identical.
Man pages apparently are one of armbian's casualties. And avahi* and
cups-browsed has been reinstalled. When I went to bed last night, the
printers were being listed on the localhost:631/printers screen IF there is
an /etc/cups/client,conf containing the IP address:port of the shared
printers, but disappears if the machine name is used, And w/o manpages it
was not possible to find out that resolv.conf was using space separated
names and I had comma separated them. Fixed now.

Is /etc/cups/client,conf really, really needed?

That is the first thing cups docs tell you to do, see "printer sharing"

Also on the bpi's, running armbian, libnss-ldap is installed, which
conflicts with installing libnss-*, but did install libnss-my*, and now the
printers have disappeared again.  That does not hold water. What the heck is
going on now?

I haven't any idea and do not claim the know anything about armbian and how
it should deal with NSS\

Since that comes from a debian arm64 repo. my first assumption is that its identical.

doing a status request on the cups stuff shows that systemd restarted cups
and nearly everything else I just checked, a few seconds after midnight last
night, and now cups at localhost:631/printers is using a white cane again.

The scheduler restarts itself every 24 hours.

Now, since my post earlier this morning, I restarted cups, no diff, Set reporting to debug, now getting 20k of noise in the error_log per disturbance. It claims that anytime it encounters the Server, this machine, that it cannot assign the address, but doesn't say why. Does that tell you anything. I will bump the debug to debug2 which logs everything. After lunch and a nap before I tackle a milling machine with a shorted home switch.

Take care & stay well.

 Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis