Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/7/23 12:48, Brian wrote:
On Sun 07 May 2023 at 11:26:05 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/6/23 19:29, Alex King wrote:
Printing on Linux is poor.  CUPS is poor.  It doesn't work for some (a
lot?) of people.

I have a Brother HL-L2300D printer.  It is connected to my (Debian
bullseye) workstation by USB.  I have CUPS installed.

My printer prints sometime.  Other times, it spins up (makes a noise
like it is about to start printing), but nothing comes out. I can't get
any useful diagnostics to tell me where the problem might be.

There is a light at the end of this dark tunnel, IF you are willing to
change the brand name on the printer. But in your case you've already done
that.  So now do a search for brotherusa, go there and download their driver
installer, unpack it, run it sudo if needed. It will ask you for the model #
of your printer, enter it EXACTLY, the script will, if you've net access,
goto brothers site, download the exact driver your printer needs, install
it, integrating with cups perfectly but you will probably need to disable
cups-browsed as it will make the default driver the everywhere driver,
crippling 95% of the printers abilities.  And from the machine the printer
is plugged into, and assuming browsed is stopped so you can use the brother
driver, it Just Works.

However, if its to be shared, usable from other machines on your local home
network AND your other machines are also running bullseye, and some of my
arm stuff is, something is locking out the discovery of shares by cups,
hence my constant harping about it here.  Other Buster machines Just Work
but in my case and to emphasize the point, an rpi4b running buster works but
no banana pi m2 running bullseye can find a printer for cups. But lpstat -t
on that same bpi running bullseye sees them all.

Please give 'lpstat -t' for bpi51 (bullseye) and a buster machine.

gene@bpi51:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: PDF
device for HLL2320D-RAW: ipp://192.168.71.3:631/printers/HLL2320D
device for PDF: cups-pdf:/
HLL2320D-RAW accepting requests since Mon 01 May 2023 04:29:40 PM -05
PDF accepting requests since Fri 02 Dec 2022 11:13:10 PM -05
printer HLL2320D-RAW is idle.  enabled since Mon 01 May 2023 04:29:40 PM -05
printer PDF is idle.  enabled since Fri 02 Dec 2022 11:13:10 PM -05

That's new, but the other bigger mfc inkjet is missing, so I went to the ff screen, opened a tab and sent it to localhost:631, cups was running, clicking on printers got me only the local pdf generator. I didn't disturb it further as its driving a 3d printer, has ben since the wether cleared about 17:00 and will be busy doing that till around 13:00 tomorrow. making a pair of half-nuts for a woodworkers big leg vise, with a 24" long, 2" in diameter hard maple screw I designed for my own workbench. But I thought I might see if I could sell a dozen or so once I had it working. Unforch, and the driving force behind my building a printer farm, is the 3 weeks it takes to print the rest of it after I've made the screw on one of my milling machines, using gcode I wrote. That machine, bpi51, did not get updated friday because it was busy driving a printer.

bpi54, which is an identical bpi, is running with nother but a bare btt octopus-pro board, did get an update friday which included a new avahi.

gene@bpi54:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for Brother_HL-L2320D_series: usb://Brother/HL-L2320D%20series?serial=U63877H0N346913 device for Brother_MFC-J6920DW_photo: usb://Brother/MFC-J6920DW?serial=BROG5F229909
device for HLL2320D: usb://Brother/HL-L2320D%20series?serial=U63877H0N346913
device for MFCJ6920DW: usb://Brother/MFC-J6920DW?serial=BROG5F229909
Brother_HL-L2320D_series accepting requests since Thu 04 May 2023 06:24:04 AM EDT Brother_MFC-J6920DW_photo accepting requests since Thu 30 Mar 2023 09:16:43 AM EDT
HLL2320D accepting requests since Thu 04 May 2023 06:24:04 AM EDT
MFCJ6920DW accepting requests since Sun 26 Mar 2023 03:30:13 PM EDT
printer Brother_HL-L2320D_series is idle. enabled since Thu 04 May 2023 06:24:04 AM EDT printer Brother_MFC-J6920DW_photo is idle. enabled since Thu 30 Mar 2023 09:16:43 AM EDT
printer HLL2320D is idle.  enabled since Thu 04 May 2023 06:24:04 AM EDT
printer MFCJ6920DW is idle.  enabled since Sun 26 Mar 2023 03:30:13 PM EDT

as can be seen from its "lpstat -t" it shows all shares, but cups still can't see anything. I'm not sure if the pdf generator is installed
[...]
To me, its been a wholesale slauterhouse since cups was sold to Apple.
The only fix I can see will require that we as a world wide group, decide to
monetarily support a cups like fork, getting away from the if it doesn't
suit Apple, it doesn't happen, influence.  TANSTAAFL folks. If you think the
peanuts are free, its time to look at the price of the beer.  Coders like to
eat, good ones should be able to afford a longer ladder up the side of the
hog... I can easily afford a $25/anum fee.
What say you?

Apple ceased any involvement with CUPS development and parted company with
its Chief Printing Engineer a number of years ago. Debian CUPS is produced
by a team led by the creator of CUPS. Your requested fix is in place :).

If so, (this is the first I've heard of it, and I've only known Michael since the late 1980's when we were both heavily involved in the os9 development, a mini unix that ran of the trs-80 color computers) where do I email now to be assured Michael will see it? Is there a new cups mailing list?

Do you have any idea if that fix will be released for arm64 bullseye? I just checked bpi54, no updates available since the Friday update. Ditto for the intel busters here, but they're busters, so don't need the fix, they Just Work.

Thanks Brian, take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis