Re: How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy

On Friday 13 December 2013 14:21:19 Wally Lepore wrote:
> local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt
> does the same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages).

I should stick to packages in the repositories first.  Most of the
packages that you are likely to need will be there.  Then you can use
a package manager.

There is no right answer to which is the best package manager.  All
have their fans.  But stick to package managers until you know what
you are doing.  Yes, aptitude and its relatives install from remote
repositories, but why are there independent .debs on your system in
the first place?  You say that you have still not got much more than
a basic system.

You probably will want to add repositories.  If you post
your /etc/apt/sources.list here I'm sure that someone will explain
how to edit it.

Lisi