Re: How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy

On 13/12/13 00:59, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Recently completed a successful install of Wheezy in Virtual Box. Runs
> great but slow (for obvious reasons). I'm not looking for
> speed/performance at this point but just looking to learn the
> interface, access and perform functions in terminal (as well as root
> terminal) and run basic programs.
>
> I would like to locate a link that explains in simple terms (if that's
> possible), "How to Install Packages". I've been hours reading about
> this topic via many links but find them helpful to some extent but too
> advanced.
>
> The link below was helpful but then it became difficult to understand.
> I prefer not to start executing commands in root terminal if the
> instructions are a bit overwhelming (at my current level of
> understanding).
>
> http://www.aboutdebian.com/packages.htm

Wow! What a... site :/

NOTE: these sources *are* affiliated with the Debian Project

https://wiki.debian.org/Software
https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement
(not so great) https://wiki.debian.org/OpenOffice

Try http://debian-handbook.info/ for a recent, simple, accurate and very
complete guide.

> I'm searching for a complete beginners guide that details "simple to
> understand instructions" on "How to install packages" as well as other
> general "how-to's" in Wheezy (current stable). I would much appreciate
> any links and/or suggestions.
>
> My initial interest is to install "OpenOffice". I understand wheezy
> has LibreOffice aready installed but I need OpenOffice as well for a
> project I'm currently working on.

You don't say what parts of Wheezy (20000+ packages) you've installed,
I'm presuming GNOME. Someone here can advice you on how to use the GUI
package manager for GNOME (I 'think' it's Synaptic).
http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/sect.apt-frontends.html#idm140081895704256

Not difficult to install. If you know what a console is and how to
become root it's just a matter of, as root, typing:-
apt-get install -y openoffice.org

> Thank you kindly for your patience and help.
>
> System Specs:
> Acer netbook D255
> Windows 7 (host OS)
> Virtual Box (running debian/wheezy ver. 7.2.0 for i386 as the guest OS)

When you're more comfortable installing software in Debian you may wish
to run the latest Apache OpenOffice.org. See:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apacheoo-deb/files/debian/dists/wheezy/

Kind regards