How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy

Hi Folks,

Recently completed a successful install of Wheezy in Virtual Box. Runs
great but slow (for obvious reasons). I'm not looking for
speed/performance at this point but just looking to learn the
interface, access and perform functions in terminal (as well as root
terminal) and run basic programs.

I would like to locate a link that explains in simple terms (if that's
possible), "How to Install Packages". I've been hours reading about
this topic via many links but find them helpful to some extent but too
advanced.

The link below was helpful but then it became difficult to understand.
I prefer not to start executing commands in root terminal if the
instructions are a bit overwhelming (at my current level of
understanding).

http://www.aboutdebian.com/packages.htm

I'm searching for a complete beginners guide that details "simple to
understand instructions" on "How to install packages" as well as other
general "how-to's" in Wheezy (current stable). I would much appreciate
any links and/or suggestions.

My initial interest is to install "OpenOffice". I understand wheezy
has LibreOffice aready installed but I need OpenOffice as well for a
project I'm currently working on.

Thank you kindly for your patience and help.

System Specs:
Acer netbook D255
Windows 7 (host OS)
Virtual Box (running debian/wheezy ver. 7.2.0 for i386 as the guest OS)