Re: How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy

On 12/12/2013 13:59, Wally Lepore wrote:
I would like to locate a link that explains in simple terms (if that's
possible), "How to Install Packages". I've been hours reading about
this topic via many links but find them helpful to some extent but too
advanced.

I'm searching for a complete beginners guide that details "simple to
understand instructions" on "How to install packages" as well as other
general "how-to's" in Wheezy (current stable). I would much appreciate
any links and/or suggestions.

Already installed on your machine will (should) be this FAQ:

file:///usr/share/doc/debian/FAQ/index.en.html

Browse to it with your web browser. From this contents list, section 8 provides a fair bit of information. Appreciate you are looking for simple descriptions, so you may want to skim some of this.

Once you begin to feel your way around, you want to 'search' for Open Office. Software for installing is held in 'repositories', so you will need to search them for open office. I use a GUI for that, Synaptic, but if you are using terminal, the Aptitude program may help you.

I was a bit confused at first, too. Don't do what I did, which was to install packages (*.deb) direct from source sites - the Debian installation ends up getting a bit cluttered with co-existing older and newer versions of things. I recommend sticking with Debian releases of programs, if at all possible.

regards, Ron