Re: startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

On 12/12/13, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

Hi Bob, your detailed replies are appreciated.

I have been trying to get a setup that works properly with startx, as
well as with kdm. Do you have a recommendation as to how best to
achieve this - the amount of pathways and possibilities is not
conducive to holding in my mind at the same time to answer this
question.

I have experimented with a couple combinations, but there are too many.

I have at the moment, startx working well, with .xinitrc and .xsession
both linking to the same file (bash script, with my "exec ..." line).

When I log in, sudo service start kdm, then login to graphical desktop
from kdm, I again have this reduced functionality.

It would be good if there were a consistent, single, way, to get both
startx after linux terminal login, as well as kdm/etcdm graphical
login working as well.