startx + ~/.xsession and no ~/.xinitrc, results in reduced functionality (xfce4, sid)

My .xsession is mode 755 and contains:
---
#!/bin/bash --login
exec ck-launch-session startxfce4
---

When I run startx, my xfce4 session starts, but Restart, Shutdown,
Suspend and Hibernate are all disabled, only Logout is enabled.

When I do:
cd; cp .xsession .xinitrc
startx

my xfce4 session starts, and all the Restart, Logout etc options are
now enabled.

What seemed like a good idea, at, the, time ... is longer looking so
good. Any ideas why this odd behaviour would appear as it does?

In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to go back to using .xinitrc

TIA
Zenaan