Re: Installing TrueType Fonts (TTF)

* Siard wrote on 2013-12-11 at 17:24 (+0100):

> Mathias Bauer:
> > Also, fonts-conf(5) contains an example user configuration file
> > ~/.fonts.conf, so that your font files (.ttf, .otf) may remain in
> > their original directories and need not to be mixed together in
> > *one* of the directories mentioned above by Siard.
>
> "Original directories"? We're talking about locally installed
> fonts here, living beyond the package manager's realm.

Yes, so do I.  Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  My ~/.fonts.conf
lists several directories:

--------------------snip--------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
  <dir>~/fonts/sourcecodepro</dir>
  <dir>~/fonts/sourcesanspro</dir>
  <!-- and some more -->
</fontconfig>
--------------------snip--------------------

Each font family I use, consists of serveral font files, e.g. 6
files for Adobe SourceCodePro, 13 files for Adobe SourceSansPro,
etc.  To keep things clear I simply don't want to put all these
files into one single directory, neither into ~/.fonts (for a
single user) nor into /usr/local/share/fonts (for all local
users).  I left them in separate directories which I called
"original directories" in my previous mail and adapted
~/.fonts.conf accordingly.  Sorry for the confusion.

> "For locally installed, system wide fonts, /usr/local/share/fonts
> looks like the most suitable place."
>
> BTW, /usr/local/share/fonts is mentioned in my /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.

Yes, here it is, too, and there's no need to alter this file.

The above link is a little bit misleading.  For short: Don't run
fc-cache as normal user.  You don't want to have in ~/.fontconfig
a mixture of cache files for all the system font directories
/usr/share/fonts/* with those for the user font directories
specified in your ~/.fonts.conf.  The former ones are located in
/var/cache/fontconfig (you don't have write permissions for it)
and are handled by the package management hooks.  You can simply
remove ~/.fontconfig completely and let it rebuild automatically.
To initiate this rebuild just now, run, e.g. fc-list.

Regards,
Mathias