Re: Installing TrueType Fonts (TTF)

Hello,

* Siard wrote on 2013-12-10 at 18:56 (+0100):

besides the hints you got from Siard and Patrick, I recommend
GNOME Character Map, package gucharmap, for examining and viewing
fonts.

> Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
> > TrueType Fonts (TTF) would open in GNOME with a dialog box,
> > and it was just one-click away. But here in XFCE, I see
> > nothing that can open the TTFs.
>
> There is a more general, yet easy way to install fonts: just
> shove them into ~/.fonts (locally) or /usr/local/share/fonts
> (systemwide).

To get all the customization possibilities, take a look at the
fontconfig machinery and the packages fontconfig and
fontconfig-config which are almost certainly installed as you use
XFCE.

Also, fonts-conf(5) contains an example user configuration file
~/.fonts.conf, so that your font files (.ttf, .otf) may remain in
their original directories and need not to be mixed together in
*one* of the directories mentioned above by Siard.  Finally

  $ fc-list

will give you feedback if the fonts had been found and installed
correctly.  You don't need to logout or to restart as the cache
files in ~/.fontconfig will be updated automatically.

Regards,
Mathias