Re: Shutting down lessens computer life............

On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 07:41 +1100, Charlie wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:27:15 +0100 Gian Uberto Lauri sent:
>
> > I know that shutting down the machine saves electricity, but heating
> > and cooling is the mechanical stress that hits the non-moving
> > components of your computer, computer that turn off less often live
> > longer.
>
> I wonder if the above is right?

Yesno, if you turn something off or on this will cause spikes. But the
stress by spikes and caused by different temperatures usually doesn't
damage a computer. Most computers that are thrown away still do work.

Spin ups and spin downs for hard drives are a real issue and always will
brake them after a while.