Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> If you want to check whether your your system shut down because it was
> overheating (as someone needed to on fedora-users recently), you can
> run "journalctl _KERNEL_SUBSYSTEM=thermal".

Thus, Poettering and the systemd crowd have invented a new, ad-hoc
language for searching log files.

As opposed to ...

> Or you can run journalctl and grep your way to happiness.

... the established and fairly self-consistent grep search argument languages.

The rpoblem he was trying to solve, I suppose, is that the grep
approach allowed some flexibility in log generation. With systemd,
logs will be required to conform, or be unsearchable. Or you could
also use grep anyway, as long as the logs remain text based. If you
happen to know what the new logs look like in the part you need to
look up.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.