Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 01:41 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 19:19 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I run a testing system that I depend on to get work done on a daily
> > basis.  I noticed today that a dist-upgrade wanted to install systemd.
> > I've never used systemd -- is there anything to fear?  For those who
> > have installed it, does the system handle the switch from the old init
> > scripts, or is there a lot of manual intervention and time required?
>
> Are you sure that it is installed to replace init? Perhaps systemd isn't
> used, but needed as a hard dependency? Or they stopped separating udev
> from systemd, by upstream they are merged.

PS: Where are notes to updates for testing?

However, http://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd , systemd by the
Debian package depends on udev, so they aren't merged and it also
depends on initscripts, IOW systemd isn't systemd. Why does systemd need
initscripts? Must be regarding to a transition.

Assumed the transition would work automatically and flawlessly, then you
still need to be able to handle it. For example, the big advantage of
systemd is, that you can boot your system within seconds, one
disadvantage is, that reading kernel logs has become a PITA. If you
thought that it's always no fun to read those logs you're right but with
systemd it's much more unpleasant. I don't know what voodoo Debian does
use, but if you switch you likely will have to do much work manually.
OTOH, initscripts is a dependency of systemd for Debian.

Impressions from Arch
=====================

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi systemd
Name           : systemd
Version        : 208-2
Description    : system and service manager
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
Licenses       : GPL2  LGPL2.1  MIT
Groups         : None
Provides       : libsystemd=208  nss-myhostname  systemd-tools=208  udev=208  libgudev-1.0.so=0-64
                 libsystemd-daemon.so=0-64  libsystemd-id128.so=0-64  libsystemd-journal.so=0-64
                 libsystemd-login.so=0-64  libudev.so=1-64
Depends On     : acl  bash  dbus-core  glib2  kbd  kmod  hwids  libcap  libgcrypt  pam  util-linux  xz
Optional Deps  : cryptsetup: required for encrypted block devices [installed]
                 libmicrohttpd: systemd-journal-gatewayd
                 quota-tools: kernel-level quota management
                 python: systemd library bindings [installed]
                 systemd-sysvcompat: symlink package to provide sysvinit binaries [installed]
Required By    : accountsservice  apache  bluez-utils  chromium  colord  device-mapper  gnome-session
                 gstreamer0.10-good-plugins  lib32-systemd  libatasmart  libgusb  libmbim  libusbx  libwacom
                 lightdm  lvm2  mate-session-manager  media-player-info  mesa  mkinitcpio  modemmanager  netctl
                 networkmanager  pcmciautils  pcsclite  polkit  qt5-base  qtwebkit  subversion  syslog-ng
                 systemd-sysvcompat  thunar  udisks  udisks2  upower  xf86-input-evdev  xf86-video-ati
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : libsystemd  nss-myhostname  systemd-tools  udev
Replaces       : libsystemd  nss-myhostname  systemd-tools  udev
Installed Size : 12482.00 KiB
Packager       : Dave Reisner <dreisner@archlinux.org>
Build Date     : Mon 21 Oct 2013 03:27:49 PM CEST
Install Date   : Fri 25 Oct 2013 12:01:44 AM CEST
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script : Yes
Validated By   : Signature

JFTR Chromium and Thunar not really require systemd, they require udev.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi thunar chromium | grep Depends\ On
Depends On     : desktop-file-utils  libexif  hicolor-icon-theme
libnotify  udev  gtk2  exo  libxfce4util  libxfce4ui  libpng
Depends On     : gtk2  nss  alsa-lib  xdg-utils  bzip2  libevent  libxss
icu  libgcrypt  ttf-font  udev  dbus  flac  opus  snappy
speech-dispatcher  pciutils  libpulse  harfbuzz  harfbuzz-icu
desktop-file-utils  hicolor-icon-theme