Re: Problem with halt

Sometimes the machine powers off, sometimes it doesn't (I believe it
says Power Down on the screen) and I must press the button for about
five seconds to cajole it to do so.  It actually amounts to a minor
annoyance, as the shutdown procedure is executed correctly (except for
the electrical part at the very end).

Have you tried using 'shutdown -h -P now' ?

I was having similar issues with some machines not powering down after shutdown and that solved it for me. In my case, I simply set that as the exit command for my window manager, and I have no idea how you might go about doing it in a desktop env.

Antonio