Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

On 13/11/13 10:37, Jon N wrote:
> I did a search for Debian and Haswell (plus a couple of related
> searches) and found several helpful things.  One was several posts on
> Phoronx (including
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM5MzU) that
> suggest support is pretty good.  I have found several other posts on
> some Forums about Debian where people have had some trouble, but newer
> versions of the kernel usually sorted it out (but not always).
>
> I will have to go back and make a list of the network controllers and
> audio chipsets on boards I am interested in and do some more
> searching.  But overall, if I stay away from exotic hardware (assuming
> I recognize it when I see it :-)) I think this should work fairly
> well.
>
> There is one an area that I'm pretty unsure of.  I am planning on
> purchasing a Nvidia video card and disabling the built in Intel video
> support.  Since I plan to use this computer as a MythTV
> frontend/backend (as well as for general web browsing/email) getting
> the audio out on the Nvidia card's HDMI port is important to my
> particular setup.  So will the audio automatically be switched to the
> Nvidia cards HDMI connector?  I realize this question doesn't
> reference an actual hardware (what boards, what version, what sound
> system will be installed, etc), so if there is possibly anyway to
> generalize the answer that would be appreciated.  At this point I can
> say I would let the Debian Installer install the default sound system,
> what ever that would be.  I run 'Testing' on my current computer, but
> don't really need to, so may choose 'Stable' for the new hardware.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

I'd just narrow down the hardware you're looking for as you've done then
pick a specific example of a board the features it - then search for
debian support for that board (I usually do that in store on my phone
unless I'm ordering it online).

Those (mythTV) questions are often best answered by your local LUG or
the mythTV forums as they can generally suggest current "best buys". Now
that you've now supplied the primary context ;)   mythTV, it's easier to
find a solution.