Re: Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)

On Ma, 12 nov 13, 18:32:10, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> And frankly I don't believe nVidia supports
> HDMI digital audio pass through, nor any discrete GPU card.  For
> argument's sake, let's say it does.  Then you run into the problem that
> the onboard audio chip can't pass digital audio through PCIe to the
> nVidia HDMI port.  None of them are designed to do this, that I'm aware of.

That's not necessary, the nVidia card exposes a SPDIF alsa device. The
trick is to convince your applications to use it instead. Completely
disabling the on-board sound should help, but then all sounds will go
via the HDMI.

Kind regards,
Andrei