Re: /etc/fstab question

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 04:06 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Le 10.11.2013 19:54, Richard Owlett a écrit :

> >> Since
> >> you seems to use ext2, you anyway do not have the log feature (
> >> the thing which avoid corrupted files in case of a problem ) so I
> >> only see the drawback of file names not doing difference between
> >> uppercase and lowercase characters.

> > I had use ext2 as eventually I intend to use flash drive and wanted
> > minimize wear.

> I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean by "minimize wear". (
> yes, I do not only use that list to learn stuff about Debian, it also
> helps me to work my English since I have no other occasions to do that,
> sadly ;) )

To minimize wear means to use something gently, so that it will last
a very long time.  Ext2 accesses the disk less than ext4 in the same
amount of reading and writing.  He expects that it will use less power,
and allow the disk media itself to last longer.  He is probably right.

I use ext2 for a different reason.  There is information on my system
(cryptographic keys) that I must control.  The journaling capabilities
of ext3 and ext4 filesystems cause complexity that means they may still
be available in some way even if I erase and write over them.