Re: /etc/fstab question

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 10.11.2013 19:54, Richard Owlett a écrit :
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 10.11.2013 18:06, Richard Owlett a écrit :
Will doing "chmod -R 777 /owlett" allow all users of any Debian
install having the edited /etc/fstab have unrestricted access
to all
files and folders on that partition?

TIA

It will, but remember that it will also allow them to change file
permissions, and so to remove rights to other users.

That's not an actual problem. I'm the only physical user. The
laptop
in question is dedicated to my learning experiments. It physically
does not even have network access of any kind.

So, security and user errors are not so important, indeed.

In my opinion, if you want such kind of partition, the easier
solution is to use a partition system which does not have the
user right feature.
The first one which comes to my mind, is the FAT family.

DUH! I'm already doing that for a USB stick exchanging text files
with my Windows machine.

And why not doing the same on that partition?

Actually I am _NOW_ ;/

The "DUH!" is slang {approximately "expression idomatique"} for a exclamation conveying "how intellectually deficient could I have been not to have seen the obvious."

Since
you seems to use ext2, you anyway do not have the log feature (
the thing which avoid corrupted files in case of a problem ) so I
only see the drawback of file names not doing difference between
uppercase and lowercase characters.

I had use ext2 as eventually I intend to use flash drive and
wanted
minimize wear.

I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean by "minimize wear".
( yes, I do not only use that list to learn stuff about Debian,
it also helps me to work my English since I have no other
occasions to do that, sadly ;) )

"Wear" in this case refers to flash devices be useable for only a finite number of read/write cycles. It is used in an analogous sense to "an unlubricated wheel bearing will eventually wear out."

I would suggest reading alt.english.usage to see the breath of English usages - even among native speakers.

[snip]