Re: /etc/fstab question

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 10.11.2013 18:06, Richard Owlett a écrit :
Will doing "chmod -R 777 /owlett" allow all users of any Debian
install having the edited /etc/fstab have unrestricted access
to all
files and folders on that partition?

TIA

It will, but remember that it will also allow them to change file
permissions, and so to remove rights to other users.

That's not an actual problem. I'm the only physical user. The laptop in question is dedicated to my learning experiments. It physically does not even have network access of any kind.

In my opinion, if you want such kind of partition, the easier
solution is to use a partition system which does not have the
user right feature.
The first one which comes to my mind, is the FAT family.

DUH! I'm already doing that for a USB stick exchanging text files with my Windows machine.

Since
you seems to use ext2, you anyway do not have the log feature (
the thing which avoid corrupted files in case of a problem ) so I
only see the drawback of file names not doing difference between
uppercase and lowercase characters.

I had use ext2 as eventually I intend to use flash drive and wanted minimize wear.

But, still IMO, this one is more a drawback of ext* partition
tables than of FAT, since it is not really natural for me and
people I know to differentiate words by the case of their
letters*. On the other hand, since you spoke about icons and
graphical stuff, I bet that your users are not console users, so
they won't be that annoyed.

I'm the universe of users. I've spent too many decades with Windows.
I started out when only TTY at 110 baud was available.
When I first got Win 3.1, I regularly dropped to DOS box in order to get work done.
Have come full circle now.

*: and if someone have any clue to allow my terminal to stop
bothering me with that damned case difference in file names, I
would really be grateful to know it. For now, I simply stop using
case when naming files, but it is less readable and is not
applicable to other people's files...

I vaguely recall something addressing that from the Win3.1/DOS era involving a "shadow directory". But may have been concerned with long file names vs 8.3 format names.

Thanks