Re: Tools to retrieve images from dead hard drive and/or deleted partitions

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:45:20 +0900
Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 01:19:21PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > Thanks for the hint, I'll try it this afternoon on (2)
> >
> > Mount the drive read only, than there is no need to backup. There
> > are all kinds of commands to recover data, usually they don't
> > recover the data on the corrupted drive, but save the files to
> > another place, so it's no problem to mount a drive read only.
>
> Yah, if you can mount, then it is good idea to mount as read-only
> first to recover and secure data by copying them to another disk.
>
> But that may not get you as much data as we wish.  testdisk/photorec
> tools can work on corrupted disk without using normal mounting.  You
> certainly need place to write recovered data.  Making disk image and
> working on it makes things easy.
>
> Osamu

I second the use of photorec, part of testdisk.  Working on the dead
drive directly, it recovered all of my 'lost' photos, a holiday special.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
	Larry Niven, Steven Barnes