Re: Tools to retrieve images from dead hard drive and/or deleted partitions

On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 12:50 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > I have heard good things of PhotoRec:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoRec
> > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
> >
> > But I have no personal experience of it.  The advice is always to
> > copy the
> > drive that needs rescuing to another drive, and work on the copy, not
> > the
> > orginal.  Again, I have not tried it.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Thanks for the hint, I'll try it this afternoon on (2)

Mount the drive read only, than there is no need to backup. There are
all kinds of commands to recover data, usually they don't recover the
data on the corrupted drive, but save the files to another place, so
it's no problem to mount a drive read only.

Regards,
Ralf