Re: obsidianmusic alternative? (music library with streaming or download from webserver)

That would also mean different tcp ports for each instance, which is
cumbersome with regards to the firewall and possibly proxy servers the
client needs to pass

Did not thought about that problem. I have some basic understanding of network stuff, but would have never thought about that issue by myself. I'll add it to the list of resources I should take care when I'm writing softwares, thanks.

I had a look at this yesterday, you can combine the mpd package with the
fookebox package, that last one is a web interface for mpd.

Sounds interesting, maybe I'll try to take some time to test it, between my personal projects... but to install an apache server for a jukebox destined to be used by a single user is a bit "exaggerated" :D (not sure of the word)

It seems a bit clunky and error prone to replace the function a bunch of
php files...

I have no real knowledge in php stuff, I'm an humble outdated fat-client-like software makern, who cares a lot about memory problems and heavily uses OOP and RAII :) (terms outdated is a joke, it is just because I feel like everyone thinks that HTML5+JS can replace everything around. The problem is that it makes harder to find jobs for me, but honestly, I think that'll stop when people will notice the overhead on computers and networks that way is creating... Nowadays, there are so many people which thinks using an application which have nothing related to databases on a dedicated server is smart and fashion... sounds like minitel is coming back for me -I had fun with it when a child but I prefer the actual computer+Internet - .) One thing I know which will be permanent for me, it that I will never understand how my predecessors made stuff complex like windows 3.1, first mspaint, first desktop office, able to run on computers with so poor performances (big respect) and how my generation is able to write pacmans without new features able to kill modern CPUs (shame).
I'm really outdated after all :D

Yes, and therefore I don't think it is a good solution for my particular
use case.

I agree. Sounds like I failed to promote mpd :D but I did not correctly understood your needs at start.

Basically they contain a link to the file that is to be played (as
simple as /home/user/file.ogg or an http stream link), and start with
"#EXTM3U" (minus the double quotes).

I meant that I do not know how it works for mpd when it manages network stuff :) I'm the kind of people who open every kind of softwares with text editors. (Speaking about that, the edit.com software on windows was my favorite tool for tinkering binary data files and text-files, because it had nice binary features, easy to use, unlike most editors. It was really, really, more powerful than the notepad.exe shame, and is still a nice binary editor in my opinion. I think I'll write a clone to it someday, or a tool reusing some of it's good points + improvements - problem with improvements being that is often removes advantages... - )

I maintain one especially for VLC
so so I can shutdown the machine automatically when the end of the
playlist is reached (vlc has some special urls like vlc://quit). Goes
like "vlc playlist.m3u; sudo poweroff".

Interesting feature. But... well, I do not like VLC anymore.
I thought it was very nice when I was a windows user, but some month before I start using windows, I noticed it became more and more crappy, interface changes and stable and portable feature removal (I'm thinking about real random). It became stupid when they removed the real random feature, which can not be an accident (they simple removed a line like "rand(time());" which does nothing else than initializing random with the current time, because random does not exists in computer, so you need changing seeds, like time.), between v0.85 and 0.90. I've waited a little to see if they would re-add it, but no. Since that failure, I've moved to linux and discovered first parole, which is weak against vlc for interface stuff, and then mpd, and now I'm a brainless fan of this tool, this software is the first one I know which is interface toolkit agnostic! What a great idea, for me, because I try to avoid to have Qt+GKT+Gnome+KDE libraries on my system (well, I am using mostly GTK softwares, I was simply meaning that I am trying to avoid to cumulate libs doing the same thing), and that way of doing things just makes me thinking of a UNIX way to build interactive softwares: one soft does one thing, but does it correctly. mpd just lacks the support of wma, sadly. I still need to find a way to convert those files...

And, I could bet that the heavier part of VLC is the GUI. About that, IIRC, it is able to run without it, that's simply that it's the most used. VLC is no longer a "geek's toy", so they make it easier to use for anyone, "hiding" advanced features to normal eyes.

Another user from this list (replied off list) hinted at subsonic, which
seems to fit the bill very nicely. Debian/Ubuntu package is available
from the website, but not the Debian repositories.
Nice to read you've found a software which fit your needs. About Debian's repo... they are nice when you are discovering the OS, but for me, for few softwares you'll want recent versions, and it happens that softwares maintain their own repo (like codeblocks and opera) and their general ease of use is a part of the reasons why I like Debian. Being free to easily use any up-to-date software I need recent is exactly what I need, and what Debian is providing.

I'll have a look at that as well. At first sight it seems to be
implemented in Java and comes with its own webserver built-in (probably
embedded tomcat).
Hum, I'm not really a fan of virtual machines to run a specific software, so I am trying to avoid java as best as I can, but that's simply personal tastes. I'm a lightweight systems' lover :D I know virtual machines are useful, but the idea behind xVM (where x might be Java or .NET or PowerBuilder or whatever) is just a wrong idea for performances. But I do not care if it is my job to write some against money. Personal taste...

Again, thanks for letting me meet mpd.

For nothing. Not sure you will find a use for it thought :)