Re: obsidianmusic alternative? (music library with streaming or download from webserver)

On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 17:58 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

[...]
> You asked for an alternative to the client, but I will give you both
> server and client alternatives.
>
> I am using mpd (music player daemon) which is playing my music, and
> have no interface (it's a daemon after all ;) ).

[...]

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm not sure mpd does what I'm looking for
but it seems great for use in another project (some jukebox thing I'm
wanting to have a go at). I will look further into it.

Allow me to explain in more detail what obsidianmusic actually is, and
does.
Obsidianmusic does not play music in itself, it is actually a buch of
php webpages that connect to an Amarok music database. This gives you a
nice view of your library within a web browser, and allows you to
download or listen (depends on configuration, not both) to your music.
This actually creates a .m3u file (playlist) you can download and run in
your average media player. The music is actually served through the
webserver (in case of download the server generates a .tar.gz file).
This allows you to have different clients, listening to different songs
or playlists, I'm not sure if this is possible in mpd.
Building the DB is as easy as pointing Amarok to a mysql DB and then
scanning the collection.

In my case the webserver and data is on a headless server, I use a
separate machine to scan the collection (using NFS, mounted at the same
location as on the server).

It is the webinterface I'm looking for, so to have different clients
play different things at the same time.

Regards,
Steven