Re: obsidianmusic alternative? (music library with streaming or download from webserver)

Le 25.12.2012 14:36, Steven Post a écrit :
Hi,

Could anyone recommend a viable alternative to obsidianmusic?
It appears to be unmaintained and has some issues where not all music is
accessible.

What is obsidianmusic? It is a web interface to your amarok music
library (when using mysql as the DB back-end), so that music can be
streamed over the net to anyone with a browser and a media player.
Currently I use amarok on a separate machine to build and update the
database. But it would be great if this could be done on a headless
server (where th actual audio files are stored and the DB is running).

Regards,
Steven

You asked for an alternative to the client, but I will give you both server and client alternatives.

I am using mpd (music player daemon) which is playing my music, and have no interface (it's a daemon after all ;) ).

To control it, I am using various tools, like mpc when on command-line or for scripting (and, of course, keybindings of my environment), ncmpcpp for ncurses (nice to use through ssh or with TTYs), and I was using ario when I was often using a lot of GTK interfaces. I know there are clients written with Qt too, and there are also things which you can use to have full integration with desktop... Even XFCE have a widget, so KDE obviously have one, I just does not know its name.

mpd is able to natively send music over network or directly on your "sound system". It is also able to do both, without difficult configurations (you have a simple text file to edit in /etc, with the usual Debian way to document things, which makes harder things easy) and is lightweight. But, saying it is lightweight does not mean it is not powerful, you have every thing you could have from a classic music player, it simply depends on the software you will use to control the daemon. The fun thing is that it starts as a daemon, so it is perfect to configure your computer to ease your wake up, without needing to login ;)

I have no idea of the DB used besides it, anyway, but I think it is sqlite3, because other DB are heavier and I would notice them on my systems.