Re: No shutdown after processor change

Artifex Maximus, 18.09.2012:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > Artifex Maximus <artifexor@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I've changed my processor from E5200 to E8400. Since then my computer
> >> does not shutdown.
> >
> > It's possible that you damaged your board in the process.
>
> Thanks for your answer. I did it several times and otherwise works
> perfectly so I do not think so.
>
> >> Sometimes the display and motherboard LEDs become blank but PSU cooler
> >> runs.
> >
> > It's a feature of some PSUs to leave the fan running until they have
> > cooled down some after turning off the computer.
>
> Never ever did before. I think this is not the case here.
>
> >> Sometimes Debian stops at System halted line and no blank screen and
> >> machine keeps running.
> >
> > At that point, your system is shut down and the only thing it doesn't do
> > is turning itself off.  That can be a software issue --- I never figured
> > out what kernel modules are needed for that.
> >
> >> I think that only CPU change cannot made such problem. I tried BIOS
> >> default setup loading but no change. Any idea what to change? I have
> >> no idea.
> >
> > You could start by looking at what's in syslog and dmesg and by checking
> > the loaded modules.  You could boot from a live/installer DVD/CD and see
> > if the computer turns off when you shut it down to get an indication if
> > there is a software or a hardware problem.  I don't know if the DVDs/CDs
> > actually turn the computer off, though, something to find out first.
>
> Thank you. I'll take a look on it.

Did you make any software updates to the system?  I have a pretty old
computer that is using wheezy and as I updated debian within the past
weeks it went back and forth between turning off properly and stalling
with "system halted" on the screen.  I don't remember which one it's
been doing most recently.