Re: No shutdown after processor change

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Selim T. Erdogan
<selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Artifex Maximus, 18.09.2012:

>> > It's possible that you damaged your board in the process.
>>
>> Thanks for your answer. I did it several times and otherwise works
>> perfectly so I do not think so.

>> > It's a feature of some PSUs to leave the fan running until they have
>> > cooled down some after turning off the computer.
>>
>> Never ever did before. I think this is not the case here.

>> > At that point, your system is shut down and the only thing it doesn't do
>> > is turning itself off.  That can be a software issue --- I never figured
>> > out what kernel modules are needed for that.

>> > You could start by looking at what's in syslog and dmesg and by checking
>> > the loaded modules.  You could boot from a live/installer DVD/CD and see
>> > if the computer turns off when you shut it down to get an indication if
>> > there is a software or a hardware problem.  I don't know if the DVDs/CDs
>> > actually turn the computer off, though, something to find out first.
>>
>> Thank you. I'll take a look on it.
>
> Did you make any software updates to the system?  I have a pretty old
> computer that is using wheezy and as I updated debian within the past
> weeks it went back and forth between turning off properly and stalling
> with "system halted" on the screen.  I don't remember which one it's
> been doing most recently.

No I did not upgrade my system that time. Since then I do several
times but with the same result. The problem probably somewhere else
because if I am in the BIOS and press power button the system (CPU)
stops/freeze but the screen remains on and have to switch off with
power button on PSU. Later the system does not always detect the HDDs
at system start which is scaring. So I bought a new ASUS G41 board and
a new PSU. Hope that works. Actually I do not have time for build the
new system so there will be no new info till Friday. Might I first
will try to change only the CPU back to E5200 and see the errors gone
or still there. If gone the problem is clearly CPU related.

Bye,