Re: mail server

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 00:52:48 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:01:09 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>>> actually i have spent 3 years working with Mailer daemon v7.0 so when
>>> ever some one say a name "mail server" unintentionally mailer daemon
>>> comes in my mind. this is my first time that i am implementing MTA on
>>> linux.since i have just started to shift from Microsoft to Linux.
>>> there is lot to learn.
>>
>> I first switched -time ago- from MDaemon (v3.2) when I installed a
>> Linux system and had to select a good replacement for it.
>>
>> Hint: write down in a paper what's your current mail system data flow
>> (user's mailboxes, incoming/outgoing messages, filter needings,
>> anti-spam/ malware needings, local/remote connections...), what are
>> your current requirements and what are the tasks that MDaemon is doing
>> right now. This will help you to get the "big picture" for a better
>> understanding.
>>
> sorry i think i explain a bit wrong. i was using Mdeamon in my last
> company my current company is fetching emails from mail server from our
> service provider.

Ah, okay :-)

> since we fetch the email via pop and sent via smtp the problem is i need
> to make backup of individual PST.

What? I don't get this... you mean you need to migrate the e-mails and
other stuff from Outlook clients to the new e-mailing service?

> therefore i presented the idea to management for IMAP.

Well, yes, IMAP is good for migrating messages but can be slow if there
are thousand messages to move or copy and/or if the IMAP server is
accessed over Internet (I mean, not "locally").

> so i think my basic need are. POP emails from hosted server.

If you mean to fecth POP e-mails from your server to place them in your
own server, Fetchmail or Getmail can do the jobs as I already told you.

Once the messages are in your server, they can be accessed locally via
POP, IMAP or directly put into the user's home.

> IMAP for local users,

Good.

> ldap for AddressBook/contents update.

OpenLDAP can hold this but it can take you some time to configure it. For
a bunch of users maybe you should reconsider it.

> spam filter and antivirus scan.

Antispam is necessary, the AV only when supporting windows clients.

> and obviously Web access for clients.

Then you have to add a web server and a webmail service :-)

> and i dont know if SQL database is better then local mail folders.
> because mdeamon use to store data in a folder. but i think SQL is much
> more better then that.

A SQL datadase for storing 20 users is a bit overwhelming, IMO. It will
require an extra component (MySQL, PostgresSQL or SQLite) and the benefit
of having a database for that small amount of users can be unnoticed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón