Re: Nvidia binary blob and libcairo2 1.10+

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:33:31 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 15 iul 12, 23:51:15, Dan Serban wrote:
> >
> > No real input from the developer, and no real action has been taken.
>
> The developer has quite clearly (IMO) stated his view/intentions[1].
> Seems quite reasonable to me given that:

My bad, the guy that made that statement is not the guy at the top of the
page and missed that comment.  The reality is that it seems that this
affects more than the singular nvidia driver, though that's simply google-fu
that may have gone sideways.

> - wheezy is (still in) testing
> - the issue is related to the proprietary driver

Really, the reasoning is IMHO wrong, it affects 3 levels of
distributions. Squeeze + backports, wheezy .. and sid.  Which by its nature
will turn off potential Debian users.  No matter who's fault it is.  Hence
my rant.  I've put up with it so far, but it seems like now (yesterday?)
would be a good time to get the issue resolved.

Doesn't Wheezy going into feature freeze mean that no new versions of the
binary blob would see the light of day in wheezy?

Or rather, maybe this bug should be tagged RC?

> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=616308#25
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thanks Andrei.