Nvidia binary blob and libcairo2 1.10+

For those unaware, running wheezy or squeeze + backports while using the
Nvidia binary blob (and in some cases nouveau) drawing _anything_ in X is
painful, it can take seconds to respond to a mouse click, or
minimizing/maximizing a window.  Scrolling speed is horrendous as well.

For the months that I've experienced this problem, I've been waiting for
Debian to step up and either find a workaround or fix the issue.

The issue from what I understand stems from libcairo enabling features that
the Nvidia driver blob cannot cope with.

The bug is reported here:

Reading through that bug report, it seems that this has been an issue for
some time, a patch is provided and I have successfully upgraded to my own
package which includes the patch.

My question is:  Am I alone here?  I experience this bug across 50+
workstations which are forced to use the NV blob (squeeze + ION2
platform).  On my workstation here, and across a few other machines at
home.

This occurs across different driver versions for the Nvidia binary blob and
across more than two versions of cairo.

Will this bug be fixed for the upcoming wheezy release?  I sure hope so, I
haven't had the pleasure of experiencing i386 speeds since the early
nineties but for the last few months I've been there.  Nostalgic as it is,
months of frustration and constantly waiting for my computer to respond
(16gb, 8 core, dual 550Ti's) feels like a massive waste of my time.

What steps does one need to take to fix this problem in Debian?