Re: Nvidia binary blob and libcairo2 1.10+

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:52:01 -0500
hvw59601 <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Dan Serban wrote:

<snip>

> > The bug is reported here:

> > Reading through that bug report, it seems that this has been an issue
> > for some time, a patch is provided and I have successfully upgraded to
> > my own package which includes the patch.
> >
> > My question is:  Am I alone here?
>
> <snip>
>
> No you are not. I pinned libcairo, easier than patching it.
>
> Hugo

Sub-optimal and certainly not something I would expect someone who is green
with Debian would know what to even google search in order to fix the
problem.

In my case, I did know the problem existed and was simply awaiting to move
to wheezy on the workstations when it was considered stable.  Due to the
packaged iceweasel in squeeze I was forced to use backports due to sites
blocking access to such an old browser and now I find myself tracking a
locally patched package to keep the systems usable.

Why isn't almost everyone freaking out that this hasn't been addressed for
months now?  A simple patch or two to the package resolves these issues
across the board. (Meaning, all drivers affected by this change)

No real input from the developer, and no real action has been taken.