Re: Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120412 22:03]:
> Reading the following leads me to believe avahi-daemon needs to be
> running for cups to work:
>
>     ...didn't realize that I had to start dbus and avahi-daemon manually.
>     I added both to my /etc/rc.d and ran them manually with:
>     rc.d start dbus
>     rc.d start avahi-daemon
>     https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137236
>
> When booting up I see this message:
>
>     Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon failed!
>
> and when I try to start avahi manually as root:
>
>     # avahi-daemon
>     Found user 'avahi' (UID 108) and group 'avahi' (GID 110).
>     Successfully dropped root privileges.
>     avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
>     dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket
>     /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
>     WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
>     avahi-daemon 0.6.31 exiting.

I got the dbus & avahi daemons to run by first doing as root:

    # mkdir /var/run/dbus

Why this needs to be done manually is another issue I'll look into
later, but for now I think I figured out the printing issue. This is
a legal size PDF, and so I added the -o media=legal to the command
like so:

    lp -d Brother_HL-1450_series -n 1 -P 2 -o media=legal some-file.pdf

And now it seems to be printing fine. Will check again later this
weekend when I have more paper & time, but it seems to be printing ok
for now.

John

--
John Magolske