Re: Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120413 15:06]:
> [...] I think I figured out the printing issue. This is a legal size
> PDF, and so I added the -o media=legal to the command like so:
>
>     lp -d Brother_HL-1450_series -n 1 -P 2 -o media=legal some-file.pdf
>
> And now it seems to be printing fine. Will check again later this
> weekend when I have more paper & time, but it seems to be printing ok
> for now.

Spoke too soon, that actually did *not* solve the problem. What did
fix things was to install foomatic-db and foomatic-db-engine, then
pick the "Brother HL-1450 Foomatic/ljet4" from the CUPS web admin
interface. I arrived at this by a process of trial and error, trying
each of the six options prefaced by "Brother HL-1450". The only one
that works is "Brother HL-1450 Foomatic/ljet4". All others either
intermittently print pages with

JL SET MEDIATYPE=REGULAR
                        @PJL SET SOURCETRAY=AUTO
                                                @PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
                                                                       @PJL SET

at the top, or print blank pages, or pages with a bunch of garbage on
them. The "official" PPD file for the HL-1450 printer on Brother's
website is a "BRHL14_1_GPL.ppd", but that didn't print anything at
all. Tried the gutenprint drivers, which caused things to be printed
out at a huge scale, jagged/rasterized.

But ljet4 is now working fine -- just printed 80+ pages reliably. One
thing I did notice is that under "Set Default Options" in the CUPS
admin interface ljet4 offers 600x600 DPI as the maximum resolution,
whereas the Brother-HL-1450-hl1250.ppd I'd used in the past offered
a 1200x600 resolution choice (the max resolution of this printer
according to its specs). However, a close observation of text on the
printed page using a 15X loupe shows no discernible degradation in
quality relative to previous pages that were printed with the hl1250
set at 1200x600. If anything the quality looks a bit better.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact