Re: force-confmiss does not work

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> This happens because the file /etc/samba/smb.conf is managed with ucf(1)
> and not shipped in the package, hence dpkg does not know about it.

Thanks for explanation.
Is Debian leaving the old way of maintaining config files in favor of
ucf?

>> How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?
>
> Set the UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS environment variable, e.g.
>
> # UCF_FORCE_CONFFMISS=1 apt-get --reinstall install samba-common
>
> should do the trick.

Maybe dpkg should set this variable when it's called with confmiss
option... it kindof sucks finding out that documented way to
restore config file does not work.
Saving Private Ryan...
Private Ryan exists. Overwrite? (Y/N)