force-confmiss does not work

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall smb.conf file as it came with samba-common.

However, even when I reinstall samba-common (into which it seems to appear) with the force-confmiss option, it won't get reinstlled:

# apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" --reinstall install samba-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up samba-common (2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze6) ...
Not replacing deleted config file /etc/samba/smb.conf
chmod: cannot access `/etc/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing samba-common (--configure):
configured to not write apport reports
  samba-common

is this a problem of samba-common package?
How to get the file reinstalled, amongst purging and reinstalling it?

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]