Re: [OT] how to take care of hand

* Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> [120203 19:21]:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 20:08, Russell L. Harris
> <rlharris@broadcaster.org> wrote:
> I thought that heat promotes circulation, not cold.

That the ice pack promotes circulation is simply my supposition, and
may be wrong.  The focus and emphasis of the podiatrist was the
reduction of inflammation, and he said that heat would exacerbate the
problem.

The inflammation can make ambulation (that is, walking) extremely painful,
even with the assistance of a cane.

> But tell me, it seems that you are treating the symptom, not the
> cause.

Yes, thus far.

The technical name of the problem is "plantar fasciitis"; the
podiatrist said that it was the most common ailment which he treats.

To the individual suffering from acute plantar fasciitis -- having
been reduced to crawling on his hands and knees -- gaining relief from
the symptom is of paramount importance.

> What about the torn ligament?

In the case I described, the ligament was in the process of tearing,
but not yet detached.  I did not hear whether a torn ligament is able
to heal or re-attach itself.

The podiatrist said that there were two solutions to the problem.  The
first: an hour in the operating room, with the attendant expense.  The
second: daily exercises (15 to 30 minutes, twice daily) designed to
stretch the ligament.

The podiatrist strongly recommended the second solution.  He said that
the ligament typically needs to be elongated only a few millimeters --
a goal which he says is easily achieved by stretching exercises.  The
podiatrist also cautioned that published stretching exercises
typically are much too severe, and thus do more harm than good.  He
said that the application of only a few pounds of pressure is
sufficient, and he said that, if the exercise hurts, the exercise is
doing harm.

The podiatrist also said that the problem arises from gradual
deformation of the foot, which typically is caused by gradual gain of
weight.  To me, it appears that he is saying that one must either
continue the stretching exercises as he grows older, or else he must
guard against gaining weight.

RLH