Re: [OT] how to take care of hand

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 20:08, Russell L. Harris
<rlharris@broadcaster.org> wrote:
> Here is an anecdote which you may find of interest:
>
> A podiatrist used an x-ray image to diagnose inflammation due to a
> ligament in the process of being torn.  The inflammation was casing
> severe pain.
>
> The podiatrist recommended application of an ice pack for an hour
> twice daily, and said that -- with faithful application of the ice
> pack -- the inflammation would be gone within a month or so.
>
> The podiatrist said that use of the ice pack is fully as effective as
> is the injection of steroids, except that steroids can reduce the
> inflammation in as little time as a few days or a couple of weeks.
>
> He noted that some people find the cold uncomfortable, but he made no
> warning regarding the possibility of frostbite.  It would appear that
> the cold stimulates circulation, and that increased circulation
> reduces the inflammation.
>
> The podiatrist also said that the application of heat (such as soaking
> the foot in warm salt water) would increase the inflammation.
>
> So perhaps there is a non-exploited market for a refrigerated wrist
> pad for the keyboard and the mouse?

Thank you, that is interesting. I just threw the wrist rest in the
refrigerator to see how that goes!

I thought that heat promotes circulation, not cold. I'll have to look
into that. But tell me, it seems that you are treating the symptom,
not the cause. What about the torn ligament?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com