Re: Backup System

On 04/02/12 12:36, Glenn English wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> You sound unsure.... are they quantum computers? ;-)
>
> Nope, Dells and DYIs (Intel and AMD CPUs). Over the last 10 years,
> the box count has varied.
>
>> But I didn't write what you've (inadvertantly?) attributed to me
>> :-)
>
> I apologize for that. I spoke to what I understood.

No worries, it didn't bother me - just wanted to reduce confusion.

>>> On 04/02/12 12:11, Glenn English wrote: I've used Amanda for 10
>>> years. It will write to tape or disk (I use a collection of 9 DLT
>>> tapes).

<snipped>

>>> That I have backups of stuff for a couple weeks is worth the
>>> massively slow tapes (and tape drive $$), IMHO.

Tape slow? Depends on your budget I guess and needs I guess. DLT is dirt
cheap nowadays (cost of shipping only in many cases, compared to LTO).

I still use tape (DDS-4) for a couple of SGI Octanes, bang for bucks
it's pretty fast backup and restore (I also have other uses for the tapes).

Kind regards

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/