Re: Backup System

On Feb 3, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> [...]

I've got 3 or 4 computers too, on Lenny. I've used Amanda for 10 years. It will write to tape or disk (I use a collection of 9 DLT tapes). It took a bit of futzing, but it's been solid as a rock since that first couple of weeks. Last time I looked, it was very CLI. And it takes a cron job to make it automatic.

I've never done a bare metal restore, but it's been fine for the small restores I've needed too do. That I have backups of stuff for a couple weeks is worth the massively slow tapes (and tape drive $$), IMHO. And it backs up using GNU tar (here, or dump if you like), just in case a really significant amount of software dies on you -- it's not much fun, but it's possible.

--
Glenn English