Re: Backup System

On 04/02/12 12:11, Glenn English wrote:

> I've got 3 or 4 computers too, on Lenny.

You sound unsure.... are they quantum computers? ;-)

> I've used Amanda for 10
> years. It will write to tape or disk (I use a collection of 9 DLT
> tapes). It took a bit of futzing, but it's been solid as a rock since
> that first couple of weeks. Last time I looked, it was very CLI. And
> it takes a cron job to make it automatic.
>
> I've never done a bare metal restore, but it's been fine for the
> small restores I've needed too do. That I have backups of stuff for a
> couple weeks is worth the massively slow tapes (and tape drive $$),
> IMHO. And it backs up using GNU tar (here, or dump if you like), just
> in case a really significant amount of software dies on you -- it's
> not much fun, but it's possible.

Amanda is indeed a solid backup system.

But I didn't write what you've (inadvertantly?) attributed to me :-)

OS/2 is old, but it's possible to quote post with it ;-p

Kind regards

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/