Re: loss of sound in VLC

Okay, lets try getting this down coherently and without emotion.

I am using gnome on uptodate squeeze, and my vlc sound was working up
to the recent upgrade to 6.9.4.Now it is completely silent, my sound
card is a C-media CMI8738, and I've checked all plugs going into it
and they're all secure.and firmly fixed in place. I've tried changing
from 'alsa mixer' to 'oss mixer' with no success, its still silent.
All switches in alsa mixer are fully on and not locked in place.

I've tried googling but couldn’t find anything useful.The annoying
thing is that rhythmbox works, kaffeine works, banshee works, movie
player works, but vlc and dragon player both remain silent.

I've removed VLC with apt-get, and then its orphans have been auto
-removed, and then purged. then I've reinstalled vlc but still get the
same problem of silence. Could this be a bug please?

Can anyone suggest further things to try to regain sound on vlc which
worked very well until the recent upgrade.

Thank you
Sharon.

--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.4.4