[Wheezy-KDE, linux-image-3.1.0] Kernel is ignoring /updates/ dir

I have always been in the understanding that Debian by default honors anything in the /updates/ dir over whats built with the kernel. This is how it has been for me until I recently decided to try to switch to Wheezy. Though after my upgrade and the new kernel it does not honor anything being built into that directory.

I am trying to get a bleeding-edge compat-wireless install going on Wheezy. I have always been able to build and not do anything but make && make install && reboot for compat-wireless and it worked, loading in compat. Doing the same thing with Kernel3.1 and then rebooting ignores that directory. So I figured I needed to run update-initframfs -u -k all it ran with no errors, so I rebooted and still pulling modules from the kernel, that are in the /updates/ dir. There is nothing different in the way it builds, no errors and even passes a script test in the install, that is suppose to verify that it will use that directory by default and passes it. Though what its checking for does not exist in Wheezy or Squeeze but did work with squeeze. I have even tried going the depmod.conf route with no luck. Seems like there is something I can not figure out forcing the compat module to not load by default. I have tried this on 3 different fresh installs, 2 upgrades with no success.

With this new Kernel how do you force it pull modules from updates before anything else? Is this even a Kernel or depmod issue? I have read others seem to be able to get it installed and I am not finding any other postings that pertain to this. If there is any logs/confs or outputs I can provide that would be of help please let me know and I will post them. Thanks for any and all help in figuring this out, I really don’t want to have to go back to the 2.6 Kernel as my laptop runs WAY better on the new Kernel other than this issue.

Thanks!