Re: [Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp

On 28/11/11 18:07, Camaleón wrote:
Hello,

I'm running an updated wheezy and today faced with this little
problematic.

While running Midnight Commander to open (on-the-fly decompression for
browsing the archive) the kernel source package (a ~75 MiB .tar.bz2 file)
I got this error:

http://picpaste.com/mc-error-YXdyRawO.gif

My Atom based netbook is not a powerful system but has 2 GiB of ram and
250 hard disk so, what was happening?

"df -H" told me:

S.ficheros     Tamaño Usado  Disp Uso% Montado en
/dev/sda2        247G  7,7G  239G   4% /
tmpfs            5,3M  4,1k  5,3M   1% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs            212M  664k  211M   1% /run
tmpfs            5,3M     0  5,3M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs            423M  423M     0 100% /tmp		<--- here!
udev             1,1G     0  1,1G   0% /dev
tmpfs            423M  238k  423M   1% /run/shm

Okay, so /tmp is full. Fine. I know how to solve it but I can foresee
more situations like this in the future so some questions arise. As the
current tmpfs default settings for /tmp seem a bit "unrealistic" (just %
20 of the RAM?) for even doing common tasks:

1/ How many room should be set for a "/tmp" partition? I never had it one
so I can't make any good estimation.

2/ Would be better to simply disable tmpfs for "/tmp"? This is how I've
been doing all these years.

Any comments are welcome :-)

I don't use tmpfs for /tmp for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, some of my PCs don't have much RAM (as low as 32MB), so it's just not practical, and on the others I sometimes store up to 4.7GB of files to put on DVDs.

I know that I could create tmpfs filesystems bigger than that and they would use swap when physical RAM is exceeded, but that would slow the systems down to an almost unusable level.

I'd rather either not have /tmp as a separate file system, or allocate at least 10GB to it. Disk is still cheaper than RAM, although slower.

--
Dom