Re: [Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp

Camaleón wrote:
> /dev/sda2        247G  7,7G  239G   4% /
> tmpfs            423M  423M     0 100% /tmp		<--- here!
>
> Okay, so /tmp is full. Fine. ...

Especially when you have 250G of space it seems egregious to clamp it
down to only 423M.

> 1/ How many room should be set for a "/tmp" partition? I never had it one
> so I can't make any good estimation.

It is so application space dependent that no one single answer can be
correct for everyone.

> 2/ Would be better to simply disable tmpfs for "/tmp"? This is how I've
> been doing all these years.

I have yet to find an acceptable tmpfs configuration that works for me
for use as /tmp.  I have tried but so far none of the options I have
tried have worked out well.

On my laptop I don't have a separate /tmp partition and simply share
space with the root filesystem so that all available space is
available to me.  I would do that for your netbook if I were using it.

On servers I always set up lvm and so set up an appropriately sized
partition just for /tmp.  However appropriately varies greatly
depending upon the machine and task.  Since it is lvm I can resize it
as needed to tune it for the machine and applications.

> Any comments are welcome :-)

If you want to read a *lot* of strong opinions you can browser through
this recent thread on debian-devel about it:

Bob