Re: How does apt select and priotize translations?

According to 'man apt.conf', Acquire::Languages can be set to declare
which translations one wants downloading. The pseudo-language
"environment" (which is part of the default setting) specifies that apt
should check $LC_MESSAGES. However, if this doesn't include a "de"
language, then it might actually be that Acquire::Languages was set at
install time.

Thank you for pointing me to the apt.conf man page. Even after reading through the Languages section I cannot make sense of apt-get's behavior.

Check /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/* for Acquire::Languages.

Acquire::Languages is not set in any file in /etc/apt/apt-conf.d. I added the following line to /etc/apt/apt-conf.d/70debconf and re-ran apt-get update:

Acquire::Languages { "en" };

But apt-get still is querying German translations. Passing -o "Acquire::Languages=en" to apt-get update does not change the behavior either.

locale output:
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

Finally I noticed that /var/lib/apt/lists contained a few files with names ending with "Translation-de". After removing this folder apt-get update does not query any translations any longer and also does not re-create any "-de" files in /var/lib/apt/lists. Looks like apt-get is trying to update all lists it ever had cached before.

Cheers, Dirk