Re: How does apt select and priotize translations?

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:54:53 +0200, Dirk Weinhardt wrote:

> I am about to install a particular package from wheezy on a squeeze
> system. Packages from wheezy should be pinned to a priority of 50. While
> configuring and testing apt I found that apt searches for German
> translations although the system's locale is en_US.utf8 and pinning
> priorities seem not to be applied to translations.
>
> I have added wheezy main to sources.list: deb
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main
>
> And I have assigned a pin priority of 50 to testing in apt's
> preferences: Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> The system's local initially was de_DE and I have changed that to
> en_US.utf8 by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales". "locale" shows
> "LANG=en_US.utf8" and "locale -a" does not list any de locale.
>
> Why is apt still querying German translations and how can that be
> avoided?

(...)

Mmm, interesting question.

I have "es" (Spanish) and "en" (English) locales in my wheezy system and
get sporadic updates for both -sometimes Spanish, sometimes English and
sometimes for both- package descriptions but true is that I never paid
attention on this because I guess it only affects to "descriptions" not
the packages nor application themselves :-?

Anyway, I would also like to know how this is managed, I mean, if
language package descriptions updates depend on the number of locale(s)
defined in the system or if it takes their settings from another source.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón